June 19, 2008

So I had this

epiphany this evening while mixing up some pancakes for dinner at 6:?? at night because BL was screaming that I needed to make him something. Apparently he doesn't like to wait 6 hours between lunch and dinner. I digress... I splash some pancake mix as I'm mixing it up (yeah, I'm a huge mess in the kitchen) and I get pissed and go to get my much needed apron. I look in all the usual spots and nothing. This leads to getting further pissed. I then look through the hall (it's an L shape) to see the light is on in the bedroom around the corner. I have the thought to go turn it off and shrug it off because that's not what my goal is right now, I need to find the apron. The thought returned, "go turn the light off." As soon as I take a few steps out of the way I was planning on going, I came far enough around the corner to see the apron.

You may think this is a stupid, pointless, silly story but after I got back to stirring I realized how this applies to so many things, and much greater things. Many times in life I get so busy doing what I have planned or what is right in front of my face that I don't realize what is around me. It takes faith to follow those promptings that lead us in a direction we weren't expecting. Even when we can't see that the change in direction will open the way to what we are trying to get to. I get so focused on what I want to happen and the mental plans I've made in my mind to get there. It really throws me for a loop when a different route is suggested. Faith precedes the miracle.

I hope this didn't just sound like a silly story about a dumb apron but that was just what triggered the thought process. Maybe this just makes sense to me but I wanted to get it written down somewhere before I forget.

7 comments:

Shawn and Mish said...

It's good to share things like that. No matter how little it sometimes seems, being prompted should always be a special experience.

I love the cruise picture. You ladies look fabulous!

Physcokity said...

If you keep writing posts like this maybe you won't have to talk in church...

faith precedes the miracle.

All joking aside though it is so very true and not hokie.

Coordination Queen said...

maybe if you were a little more careful when you stirred... :)

Deena said...

Cook naked.

Deena said...

No, your story totally makes sense. Good application. Love you!

Busy Bee Lauren said...

What you posted is what I wish I posted. I never post important things, like little life lessons I learn each day, and I wish did. Thank you for sharing! It will motivate me...

MamaT said...

Those are the "little things" that teach us such important lessons. You are better than me trying to put meaningful things on your blog. Mine ends up being Cody's journal most of the time. Isn't motherhood just so wonderful!;) Never a dull moment.