negative comment about my body the other day, I realized something. BL was listening to me. I never really thought about the negative comments I make about myself having an impact on anyone other than me. At that moment I realized I'm teaching him something I don't want to teach him. If I go around saying negative things about my body he'll think that's normal. He might think it would even be okay for him to say negative things to women. He might even think women should think those things about themselves.
I realized I have to stop. I have always said, even before I had BL, that I wanted any sons I would have to have a great respect for women. To NEVER ever hit them or be rude to them in any way. For that to work I have to start with the way I think about myself because that will have a big impact on what BL learns.
Things have happened to my body that I'm sure have happened to most of you that have had babies. When I got to thinking about it, more people in the world probably have stretch marks, wrinkles and saggy boobs than don't. It is normal for bodies to do that. Why can it not be beautiful still?
After I verbalized these things to BW, I look at myself differently now. I don't look at my stretch marks with disgust anymore. I find myself looking in the mirror and seeing good and not just flaws. I'm done with mentally beating myself up for not looking like an ideal picture that who knows came up with.
Most importantly I want BL to know that all women are created different and childbirth puts all of us through some changes. We are beautiful still.
6 comments:
Well said.
I second that motion.
I'm totally with you on this. I've really had to tone down my negative comments period. Kids pick up on everything!
Great post - I needed to read this! :)
Wear those stretch marks and different shapes proudly. Not everyone gets a chance to earn them in such an admirable way.
I've been working on that for years.
Post a Comment