February 12, 2009

Mom and Dad, this is not a post about BL, you should stop reading here. You will end up blushing if you don't.

There has been a lot of blushing in blogland lately. It's all due to this. (I hope you don't mind Aubrey. I love your boldness.) Why does this get so many people blushing? Married women, with children, blushing! I mean no offense to those of you who are blushers, so please don't take it that way. I just wish more people were open about it. Not in a skanky kiss and tell way but open about it being part of a normal, healthy marriage. And just because you're married doesn't mean it can't be spicy.

When I was little I actually thought sex was a bad word. A lot of importance is placed on being abstinent before you're married. I wholeheartedly agree with this. Abstinence before marriage is the way to go. Is it because of this that the subject becomes taboo? A lot of parents can barely, if even, have "the talk" with their kids. I think it should be a more open thing that sex has a place in marriage and not just lost in the realm of "don't do that". I'm getting side tracked...

In short: If you're married, you should be having sex, everyone knows it, get over it... and pass around a little advice if you're so lucky to find some.

And because of this I'll probably NEVER be a Young Women leader:)

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope to be open with my kids about it...that is how my mother was with me and it helped me tremendously in communication with "A". I can't imagine being in a relationship or having kids and not being able to express myself on the subject. It's one of the most important in a marriage. I think my open attitude will trickle down to my kids, but I guess I am the only one who can decide for sure :)
Thanks for the er, "tip". Haha, love you and wish you two a happy valentine's day~!

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenny P. said...

But see, maybe you should be young women's president... I am currently, and have had some very blunt conversations with my girls... they were shocked when i told them the reason they needed to avoid bad situations were things could happen that shouldn't happen, was because making out is fun, and it's easy to get carried away. What? Did I just admit that making out is fun? Well yeah... it IS fun.. and sex is fun too. Which is why it's worth waiting for.

Anonymous said...

Yes! There's so much misinformation, it really should be more openly discussed so teenagers understand why we wait and people don't feel ashamed about sex after they get married and finally do do it. Maybe that means I'll never be in YW, either, but then again, maybe that's why both of us at some point will.

Sheri said...

Hey, I was a YW leader and I LOVE sex. And I have talked about it with Xander but haven't given him the "talk". I figure the more open I am with my kids, the more they will feel comfortable telling me.

Super Happy Girl said...

Scandalous!!

;) We are pretty open about sex at home. The kids know there's nothing they can't ask or talk about. It's a tough world out there.

Deena said...

My little sister is growing up.

Physcokity said...

Not true I read somewhere a while back that someone had a YW leader who was pretty much straight up with her girls about "the talk" and actually had a lesson on it one Sunday...I'm just sayin' maybe you should be a secks therapist? j/k

aubreyannie said...

regarding your title: i just told paul about the reaction that blog post of mine is getting and the first thing out of his mouth was, "what if my mom read this?" and i said, "she doesn't read my blog and if she does, then maybe she will apply my advice."

aubreyannie said...

and i could not be young women pres or any kind of leader because i am way too open and blunt about sex. i think it's freakin awesome and my parents growing up NEVER discussed it, never talked about it and rarely did it. so i'm glad i turned out nice and healthy despite that fact and hope to be able to be open in a tactful way with my kids as they get older.

Heffalump said...

My parents were never very open about it. They never even gave me "the talk". I think that is because my Dad told me to let him know when I had sex ed in school so he could talk to me about it, and I just never told him because who wants to talk to your Dad about that when you are 11 or 12 years old?
Luckily, I have older sisters, and younger sisters and we are more open talking about that kind of stuff with each other. The three older sisters all talked to the two younger ones before the younger ones got married, so they were well educated.

Mamapierce said...

Awesome. :o) Happy Sex Day!

Super Happy Girl said...

"Happy Sex Day!"

BWAHAHAHAHA!!

Lauren said...

You should belong to the Carroll family. There is much sex talk and little blushing. My first trip to an "adult shop" was 4 months after I was married with Shay and Jill. It's fun now that Devin and Caitlin are married. We all feel sorry for Ethan. He won't be getting any for quite some time. However, we have all promised him that he can have sex with his wife in our beds because we've all had sex in his.

Lauren said...

ps I am currently the YW secretary.

Tori :) said...

I LOVED Aubrey's post- her boldness. When I said I was "blushing" it was more out of "WOW. She actually said that on her blog." not out of embarrassment. I thought it was rad!

MamaT said...

I too want to be more open about the topic with our kids. I would rather be open with my children at home than to have them hear it at school for the first time. Thanks for the encouragement on the running. I hope to continue as long as possible, and I feel so fortunate that I can do it. I hope you are feeling better, and off of bedrest almost. Your a real trooper.

Annie said...

Hi guys! We’ve had some creepy stuff going on with our blog, and are going to go private. Could you email me your email address? I’ll send you an invite when I switch it. Thank you!
afoote3@cox.net

Lanae said...

i was asked to teach a marriage sunday school class a while back and the bishop told me that if husbands and wifes could just have more intimacy (in any form!) things would be a lot better. amen to your comments. sex is more than okay it is a commandment to "cleave together" and enjoy being married!!!!

Lanae said...

PS Coming from a fellow "bedrester", it is never more clear how wonderful sex is until it is forbidden!!! Hang in there.

Tiffany said...

I love that Marty & I have talked openly about it with our kids. Our oldest doesn't hesitate to ask me a question about it if there's something on his mind, or if something has happened or been said at school. It's important to keep things 'age appropriate' and just answer what he's asking (and not go into more detail then he cares to know about!) but I'm all for being open with them about it. I also think it's important for them to understand that just b/c you can be open with them, that it is sacred and shouldn't be talked about hugely at school w/friends (although we all know they talk:). I'm glad my parents were open with me. I always felt comfortable talking with them. this is a great topic, I might share on my blog, just to hear what my friends have to say about it:) How are you doing, by the way?

Physcokity said...

Nice. I believe Jill had the best moniker I've ever heard yet for V-Day! Also I've got an award for you over at the lemonade stand.

Anonymous said...

hurl puke gross! how about a warning so your brother in law doesn't read this!!